Thursday, September 6, 2007

Expectations

Brandon and I are actively involved in church at Firewheel Church. We just became members and are attending a class called Firm Foundations. It is on Wednesday nights and is a really neat class. I know, I am learning a lot. Last night we talked about expectations. I suddenly realized that my OCD has me set with really high expectations of Brandon for one and for everyone else I know. I do have high expectations for everyone and realize that I shouldn't. Reason being, if I hold everyone to my high expectations and then they do not live up to it, then I am upset, mad, or even become resentful of that person. If I learn to not have a particular level of expectation, then I will no longer be disappointed...all the time. I have to learn to handle every situation differently and think before I react. Even with parenting little miss Maddyson. The class had some really great points that show how to not speak expectations through your discipline, I.e. your room is a mess, you are such a slob...when you grow up you are going to be a dirty slob. Sounds harsh...well I know from hearing those words many times in my life that it is true, parents speak the most awful things to their children and don't even realize what they are doing. I feel I am rambling on, so I will quit, but just always remember to hold your expectations to yourself and not always show them, for you may walk and live in disappointment.

No comments: